Thursday, November 29, 2012

Superheroes and mythology

In ancient times it was the myths of heroes and adventures that were kinda of like the comic books of today. They were made from stories told as songs or what I consider early comics (pottery, plates and tapestries). Today our heroes are in comics and are considered the ancient heroes of our time. I think with superheroes today they take us on these grand adventures and images that take our imaginations to a different level. I guess with superheroes can make us want to be or inspires the reader as well.

With some of the comics I have read the most relatable superheroes that revolve around ancient hero mythology would have to be Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. With Superman It kind of reminds me of the story of Moses and the myth of Hercules. Batman represents the great tragedy stories such as Hamlet, and Wonder Woman in some ways reminds me of Joan of Arc, combined with some of the heroines/ goddesses of greek mythology. It's kind of ironic how that some of these superheroes have similar qualities to these great myths and stories from long ago.   

No comments:

Post a Comment